You are not logged in.

#1 2013-02-16 15:14:57

dvorak

A new wiki page

Hi Amzo,

I've created a new page on the wiki: http://wiki.archbsd.net/index.php/Offic … tall_Guide

I used the term "Official" because there are not other guides for ArchBSD/ZFS installation in our wiki.
If you don't like it, feel free to delete it.   smile

Best regards,
dvorak

"UNIX is basically a simple operating system, but you have to be a genius to understand the simplicity."  — Dennis Ritchie

#2 2013-02-17 04:48:11

Blµb
Administrator

Re: A new wiki page

Looks good. I should try again tongue
All my ZFS+GPT attempts have failed... every guide has some small details different...

One thing I never understood: canmount and mountpoint=legacy
I don't use that on my main machine which has root on ZFS - but there I use grub and everything's easy then...
At least it seems to be.

With pure gpt (with gptzfsboot) attempts I never got the kernel to mount a filesystem.
The bootloader found it, loaded the kernel files and zfs modules and everything, but the kernel just refused to mount my /

#3 2013-02-17 07:01:29

dvorak

Blµb wrote:

Looks good. I should try again tongue

Thanks man.

All my ZFS+GPT attempts have failed... every guide has some small details different...

I wrote this guide after some experiments with ZFS on my machines (the first was an old 32 bit MBR-based PC and the last was a 64 bit GPT-based notebook).

I also installed ArchBSD (with the Beta ISO) into a ZFS pool and it worked fine.  smile

If you have some questions or suggestions, please let me know.  smile

One thing I never understood: canmount and mountpoint=legacy

canmount property is necessary for zfs to not mount a dataset.

When i turn canmount off on tank/ROOT, this dataset will not be mounted, when i import the pool and when i try to do a "zfs mount" command.

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19082-01/817 … index.html

mountpoint=legacy is a property that it is used by ZFS to avoid the management of that file system.

ZFS can avoid the management of dataset based on /etc/fstab. Setting mountpoint to legacy is necessary to delegate the administration of the datasets to the user, in the same way that you do with the other filesystems.

E.g., mount -t zfs tank/ROOT /mountpoint   --> legacy mode

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19253-01/819 … index.html

Another way to obtain the same results of mountpoint=legacy + canmount=off, is to set directly mountpoint=none.

With pure gpt (with gptzfsboot) attempts I never got the kernel to mount a filesystem.
The bootloader found it, loaded the kernel files and zfs modules and everything, but the kernel just refused to mount my /

Did you set the bootfs property on your pool and attached vfs.root.mountfrom="zfs:tank/rootdataset" in /boot/loader.conf?

These two things are necessary for mounting a ZFS dataset as the root filesystem.

Best regards,
dvorak

Last edited by dvorak (2013-02-17 07:48:13)

"UNIX is basically a simple operating system, but you have to be a genius to understand the simplicity."  — Dennis Ritchie

#4 2013-02-17 10:52:51

Amzo
Administrator

I'm writing the new iso scripts now, and will be including beadm in the ISO for zfs boot enviroments.

The zfs module will be loaded by default as well.

#5 2013-02-17 11:40:15

scjet

dvorak wrote:

... and the last was a 64 bit GPT-based notebook).

I also installed ArchBSD (with the Beta ISO) into a ZFS pool and it worked fine.  smile

?

Sorry to sidetrack here, but I too have a lot of problems trying to go GPT/bootzfs ...
Granted, maybe your mileage may vary depending on the laptop involved / bios configuration....?
I have recently picked up an Asus K75DE (64-bit notebook), it came with Win8, uefi/secure boot enabled.
Win8 is now long gone, and I can disable secure-boot, but as far as MBR, or GPT it depends on
CSM enabled -> (for old-legasy Bios/MBR), Or, CSM disabled -> (for i assume GPT.uefi enabled ?), in thr bios settings.

Either way. I basically can't go/create GPT/zfsboot on anything unless I disable CSM (in bios) which drops me back to MBR.
  However, on my 64-bit Desktop everything works fine.... ?
anyway, I'll try it again on my notebook,  in case I missed something.

Again, my present issues with my new-cheapo-laptop should probably be moved over to the "hardware...? related forum here,
but more importantly, I'm just glad to be here.  wink

...AND also, thanks @dvorak for your contribution on the archbsd Wki thus far, it's looks great. !

Last edited by scjet (2013-02-17 11:56:17)

#6 2013-02-17 12:40:42

dvorak

scjet wrote:

?

There was a Beta ISO of ArchBSD 9.1 some time ago at the FTP ArchBSD repository.

Sorry to sidetrack here, but I too have a lot of problems trying to go GPT/bootzfs ...
Granted, maybe your mileage may vary depending on the laptop involved / bios configuration....?
I have recently picked up an Asus K75DE (64-bit notebook), it came with Win8, uefi/secure boot enabled.
Win8 is now long gone, and I can disable secure-boot, but as far as MBR, or GPT it depends on
CSM enabled -> (for old-legasy Bios/MBR), Or, CSM disabled -> (for i assume GPT.uefi enabled ?), in thr bios settings.

I've bought recently a Compaq CQ58-205SL Windows 8-powered laptop with UEFI and Secure Boot technologies built-in, but i don't have any issues with gptzfsboot.

Either way. I basically can't go/create GPT/zfsboot on anything unless I disable CSM (in bios) which drops me back to MBR.
  However, on my 64-bit Desktop everything works fine.... ?
anyway, I'll try it again on my notebook,  in case I missed something.

I've turned off Secure Boot and i've turned on Legacy Boot, because only the Legacy mode can boot from CD/USB on my notebook.
But when i installed FreeBSD/amd64, Slackware64 (my current OS) and lately Ubuntu x86_64 on a GPT partition table, they worked fine.

...AND also, thanks @dvorak for your contribution on the archbsd Wki thus far, it's looks great. !

Thanks a lot man.  smile

Best regards,
dvorak

Last edited by dvorak (2013-02-17 18:09:06)

#7 2013-02-17 16:01:25

Blµb
Administrator

dvorak wrote:

Did you set the bootfs property on your pool and attached vfs.root.mountfrom="zfs:tank/rootdataset" in /boot/loader.conf?

These two things are necessary for mounting a ZFS dataset as the root filesystem.

Well on my main machine where it works - but with GRUB2 - I did not set mountpoint=legacy or canmount at all and it works fine.
On my GPT/ZFS tries, yes, I did set both of those, vfs.root.mountfrom and bootfs - however, the vfs.root.mountfrom option isn't even necessary as the kernel puts up a prompt for the root filesystem anyway if it cannot find it - however, I did set it, and typing in zfs:foo/bar errored with "error 2"...
And yes, I also did properly export the zfs pool, and even created /boot/zfs/zpool.cache and put it in the right place.

#8 2013-02-19 13:55:13

dvorak

Talk:Official Arch BSD ZFS Install Guide wrote:

Section "Creating the pool" Should probably add -o altroot=/mnt - at least the old beta ISO otherwise fails to mount as it cannot create directories.

Actually, this is not a real issue. Even if zpool create command exits with error, the tank pool will be anyway created.
Besides that, there are a zpool export and zpool import -o altroot=/mnt commands in section 6.

A real issue would be the writability of the /boot and /mnt directories.

A viable workaround is to mount the pool on /tmp directory and write zpool.cache into /var/tmp, since they are two writable directories.

The next iso will use unionfs to add writable tmpfs branches over the important directories, not sure about the / directory though.

For now, i won't change that guide, because i would wait for the new ISO for testing a pure ZFS installation with it to see what are the writable directories.
When i'll try that, i will change the guide.

PS: On a FreeBSD USB Live Env, when i do

# mount -uo rw /

the ROOT directory will be remounted in rw-mode.
Would it not be better to do the same thing also in a CD env? Or is it impossible, due the ISO9660 FS?

Last edited by dvorak (2013-02-19 14:00:44)

#9 2013-02-19 14:59:37

Blµb
Administrator

dvorak wrote:

PS: On a FreeBSD USB Live Env, when i do

# mount -uo rw /

the ROOT directory will be remounted in rw-mode.
Would it not be better to do the same thing also in a CD env? Or is it impossible, due the ISO9660 FS?

Maybe they're using a different filesystem?

So I got a root on ZFS ArchBSD install to run, just, it won't work properly in grub2...
But I can use a grub entry which loads /boot/zfsloader rather than the kernel directly and then it works...
It's kinda stupid and adds about a minute to my boot time but yay I'm on a pure ArchBSD now.

Gonna link some screenshots in the screenshot thread as I've finished chromium and nvidia blob packages, and SDL.

#10 2013-02-20 02:54:34

dvorak

Blµb wrote:

Maybe they're using a different filesystem?

Yep. CD is formatted in ISO9660 FS, USB img in UFS.

BTW, seems the rw-mode is not available under ISO9660 FS. I didn't know it.
http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions … read-write

So, another viable option is to boot with an USB stick, rather than CD-ROM.

#11 2013-02-20 09:23:24

Blµb
Administrator

I do prefer USB-sticks too. If only consoles and video devices could stop using these odd ancient circle-shaped read only frisbee devices...

#12 2013-07-17 18:53:23

rianav

Hello all,
apologies for sidetracking. is there a newer usb img?

thanks.

China gangs burn pork on Amtrak while San Diego SWAT busts ice pirates at Target.

#13 2013-07-24 08:30:09

Blµb
Administrator

Board footer