You are not logged in.

#1 2015-04-08 15:44:13

Sloth

Cannot create BSD geom (Solved)

Finally got a 64-bit computer, first thing I wanted to do was try this out. I am to be installing this on an SSD if it is at all relevant.

I already have an MBR partition table, and as informed by a separate thread on the forums regarding dual booting (https://bbs.archbsd.net/viewtopic.php?id=56), if it exists you don't have to do it again. I am to be dual booting this with Windows 7, which is already installed. I used the command "gpart add -t freebsd ada0" which prints out "ada0s3" taking up the 48 gigabytes I had. So I went onto the next thing, "gpart create -s BSD ada0s3" which says there is not enough free space. For giggles I went ahead and tried with ada0s4 and then onto the next line in the tutorial which probably obviously didn't work. I am frustrated, I can elaborate more if there are further questions.

But for now I am taking a nap. I will be sure to check responses upon waking up.

Last edited by Sloth (2015-04-09 11:53:18)

#2 2015-04-08 22:24:36

Sloth

Re: Cannot create BSD geom (Solved)

I went ahead and deleted the partitions to start from scratch hoping to at least figure out the install. But I still have the same issue. For some reason, it worked at first. I was able to build atop the geom. Then I deleted it again because I wanted to resize it to fit other partitions on the disk but decided I would try installing it first, so I redid it exactly from my history. Now it says the same error as before, "gpart: geom 'ada0s1': File exists" even after previously working. Rebooting isn't fixing this error.

#3 2015-04-08 22:56:38

Sloth

So I gave up on MBR. Tried GPT after I nuked my drive with dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/ada0 bs=1M, got much further, but now it refuses to let me mkdir -p /mnt/arch, saying it is a Read-only file system. I feel like a retard

#4 2015-04-08 23:24:30

Sloth

OKAY, so I nuked it again, and tried MBR again. I got further too, as if I had done it right the first time before. And then I get to the mkdir part and it is still claiming /mnt/arch to be a Read-only file system. I am not sure if I need to create a separate forum topic for this or not. I already looked through the forums and saw similar topics when I made the above post by the way, but those are only similar and don't appear to be at the same step in the process.

#5 2015-04-09 09:01:08

Amzo
Administrator

You can skip the mkdir /mnt/arch, not really needed, only works on the usb image.

#6 2015-04-09 11:52:40

Sloth

I see now. My mistake, for some reason I didn't even think to read immediately after the instruction. Thank you, my issues are resolved.

Board footer