You are not logged in.

#1 2015-02-13 19:33:53

Sloth

Dual Booting

Hello, not sure if this is the right place to ask. I want to dual boot ArchBSD with Arch Linux and Windows XP. So far I am finally content with my system so don't want to steam roll it, but I don't want this to stop me from trying new things that could potentially be better. I thought well ahead, three primary partitions, two of which already filled up, and then an extended partition which I want to share with Arch. already have the partitions set up, a 12 gigabytes partition without a filesystem specifically for ArchBSD. However reading the wiki makes me question a lot of the things I would be doing. The main thing is, I don't understand if creating a 'geom' will format everything as I have never had to do it before. I also don't know whether I am supposed to create the geom on my whole disk (sda) or just the single partition (sda2). Will creating a geom on "da0" format my partition? What is da0, sda for me? Is there a way to do it without destroying my data?

Also am not real sure how I would manage to connect to a WPA secured wireless router during installation, which is preferable but I do have access to an ethernet cable so it is no big deal.

Again I only want to create the root partition, as I will be attempting to share my home and swap extended partitions. My partition table is MBR, and my architecture is 32bit i686. I will be using an older boot disk as the latest version didn't have a 32bit version and since ArchBSD is rolling release it shouldn't really matter in the long run.

#2 2015-02-14 04:27:18

Blµb
Administrator

Re: Dual Booting

Unfortunately there's hardly any work going on on the 32 bit front. We don't have the manpower, and none of us use 32 bit hardware anymore.

In any case, to clear this up:

The geom system can be seen as a collection of tools used for partitioning (gpart), raid (graid), encryption with eli (geli) etc.
Partitioning is handled with `gpart`, which can be seen as the alternative to fdisk/gdisk. If you just want to play around with the system and don't care about raid or encryption, all you need is a partition, just like you're used to.
If you're uncomfortable with manipulating your partitions from ArchBSD (which is understandable if you have no experience with the gpart command), you can go ahead and just prepare a partition from any other OS, there's no need to format it with a specific filesystem, it makes sense to do that from the ArchBSD stick. Though if you can create UFS/FFS2/ZFS partitions externally, that should work too.
For a first trial run I'd recommend not using ZFS unless you already have experience with it elsewhere as it'll just take longer to get used to it. But you'll definitely want to look into it at some point. (Also ZFS makes much more sense on bigger partitions, or whole disks.)
All you need to do to find your partition from within the ArchBSD stick is use the `gpart show` command. There are a few flags which will help even more, `-l` to show labels if they exist, and `-p` to show the device names instead of just parttion numbers in the 3rd column. `gpart show -lp` should allow you to quickly find the device name.

Then you could proceed with formatting (via newfs) -> mount -> pacstrap -> configuration (fstab, rc.conf...) -> reboot

As for sharing partitions: FreeBSD doesn't support as many different filesystems. ext4 support only comes via fuse with read-only support. Filesystem support is something most OS' don't seem to care much about tongue

#3 2015-02-14 15:54:17

Sloth

I understand. I am not too much a technical person, but I would be willing to learn to help in any way I could if you guys are looking for it.

Anyways thanks for clearing that all up. Are geoms mainly specifically for servers then basically?

#4 2015-02-15 15:13:36

Sloth

Ah I think I see what you were saying more clearly when you mentioned a lack of 32bit support. There are unresolved dependencies for programs such as pacman. I can see how that might hinder me. Good thing I decided to run it in virtualbox first because I was on the edge about to delete all my partitions and start over. Still a very interesting project, I will keep a watch on it.

Board footer