You are not logged in.

#1 2014-05-11 05:48:04

kraileth

2014-05-05 i686 iso

According to the news on the main page we're supposed to have fun and try to provide feedback. I already had some fun with it (ArchBSD is finally installed on my old Laptop, yay!) and since I'm the one who asked for i686 in the first place, I think just ignoring the second thing would be very bad style. wink

Ok, I already said it: ArchBSD i686 is working. However I went through some troubles to actually get there.

In fact it breaks down to two things:

a) The ArchBSD keys are not present on the live system
b) The live system is read only

While the first is the reason why pacstrapping packages fails, the second makes matters worse since you cannot easily import the keys or change pacman.conf to set SigLevel = Never. I worked around it by creating a temporary ada0p2 partition with an UFS filesystem, mounting it on /mnt, copying over the content of /etc, unmounting and remounting it on /etc. That way it is possible to import the keys and do the pacstrapping part of the installation. Afterwards I unmounted /etc again, deleted ada0p2 and created a swap partition for it.

Also I had some other strange problems. The iso worked fine when I used it directly with a VM. However after burning it to a CD I got some read errors when I tried to boot it. I threw the CD away and burned another one (using a slower recording speed this time) and the problem occured again. Then I re-downloaded the iso and burned it again but the issue persisted. I'll try burning on another pc with a different drive when I get new CDs. No idea if it's just me or if there is anything wrong here. Just wanted to mention it as well.

Succeeded in building and installing VIM again and right now my laptop is building LLVM (for rebuilding mesa so I can get xorg-server built). I've already written an "i686 install guide" on the wiki (look here for it). Would be nice if anybody could have a look at it, check if everything is ok and do proofreading.

Even though there are a few flaws right now: A big thanks to everybody involved in making this possible! smile

#2 2014-05-11 10:30:30

Amzo
Administrator

Re: 2014-05-05 i686 iso

You can pass --config to pacstrap to use a different pacman.conf

E.g You could copy pacman.conf to a read/write directory such as /tmp and use --config /tmp/pacman.conf

FreeBSD has no easy way of making the entire iso read/ write unfortunately, the only ISO used the unstable unionfs which resulted in a lot of kernel panics.

#3 2014-05-14 08:59:02

Amzo
Administrator

Re: 2014-05-05 i686 iso

New iso are going to be a few days longer. I've encountered more issues. When recovering an install in a chroot, it shows the root file system of the CD, and pacman reports / as full. So a rescue script that will create a jail and chroot into it is beign wrote to add to the iso.

Board footer