You are not logged in.

#1 2014-04-08 12:27:36

likeBSD

Thank you + one question ...

Hi,

I first want to say thank you very much for your project. I love FreeBSD, I am far from being an expert on it, but I love it. I am also not a fan of ports (i only use binaries) and I must say that I love pacman. So this is a great project in my opinion.
Since FreeBSD is an operating system, not a kernel, I presume ArchBSD cannot be killed as easily as a Linux distribution, I presume the userland is separated from the base operating system, this is something I really love when using BSD.
My question: There is some software on Linux that is at the moment not possible in FreeBSD, f.e. a Dropbox client. Do you see a possibility to use everything that runs on linux also on ArchBSD?

Thank you again for the project. I will test ArchBSD.

#2 2014-04-10 11:57:01

Amzo
Administrator

Re: Thank you + one question ...

Well FreeBSD-World and userland are in their own package FreeBSD-world

So even if most packages broke, world would still work. In the the off chance that even pacman breaks, there is also pacman-static
Which would be used in the case libarchive or a dependency in world got version bumped.

We've also changed the prefix of packages so that packages PKGBUILD from ArchLinux work with little modification, and sometimes with no modification at all.

prefix=/usr
libexec=/usr/libexec
lib=/usr/lib
include=/usr/include
pkgconfig=/usr/lib/pkgconfig
share=/usr/share

and so forth

As for DropBox, I can't really say, we use ArchLinux packages from 2009 for our linux base, so it may or may not work. I'd have to look into that one. Though, not everything that runs on ArchLinux would also run on ArchBSD, but in most cases the bianry compaitability might suffice.

#3 2014-04-12 02:26:19

likeBSD

Thank you very much for your answers. If I am not mistaken, even gnome3 is already among the software available for ArchBSD. It seems that this especially will be a great Desktop BSD.

#4 2014-04-15 04:51:16

Claud

Hi,

On linux, Dropbox client uses http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inotify which from my knowledge is not available on freebsd kernel.
As an alternative, you may use: https://github.com/andreafabrizi/Dropbox-Uploader.

#5 2014-04-16 01:47:45

Amzo
Administrator

likeBSD wrote:

Thank you very much for your answers. If I am not mistaken, even gnome3 is already among the software available for ArchBSD. It seems that this especially will be a great Desktop BSD.

Gnome3 is a little buggy with most things. I'm currently working on gnome3, but it's a WIP.

Board footer