You are not logged in.

#1 2014-02-10 09:23:17

isabusl

Why Should You Use ArchBSD?

Soon I will have to install an Operation System on a new computer and I thought I might try BSD. Since I use arch linux, I thought archBSD might be quite interesting. However, I do not quite understand what benefits there are to use the BSD kernel? What advantages does ArchBSD have compared to Archlinux or FreeBSD?

By the way: It might also be useful, if there would at least exist some kind of "Why Should You Use ArchBSD"-text as there is for FreeBSD.

Last edited by isabusl (2014-02-10 09:24:07)

#2 2014-02-10 12:17:09

Blµb
Administrator

Re: Why Should You Use ArchBSD?

Pretty much the same as listed there in the FreeBSD link, except we don't consider their ports to be a plus wink
You get that minus ports plus pacman. Sure we should probably write more about it, but that's the main motivation anyway.
We also got rid of a few of the downsides FreeBSD has (or at least used to, not sure if this part is still true, but:) eg you don't need a 32-bit chroot to run 32-bit wine, as we have a [multilib] repository.

Comparing to ArchLinux is pretty similar to comparing FreeBSD to ArchLinux.
Personally I also have better experience with RAID support on FreeBSD (and thus also ArchBSD) than on Linux. (At least mdraid kept bugging out for me, dm-raid seemed to work but lacked a bit...)

It's mostly a matter of taste unless you need support for something specific. Like a specific hardware, or non-nvidia graphics drivers, or other exotic things. (I should really put in and test my AMD card soon...)

#3 2014-02-10 16:08:06

isabusl

Blµb wrote:

You get that minus ports plus pacman.

Since I've never used FreeBSD, I have another question: Are "ports" something like the Arch User Repository (AUR)?

#4 2014-02-10 17:00:51

Blµb
Administrator

No, it's basically a giant set of Makefiles used to build packages from source.
(Eg doing 'cd /usr/ports/X/Y; make install' is like going 'emerge X/Y' in gentoo.)

Board footer