You are not logged in.

#1 2013-07-23 22:00:45

kylekanos

dual boot installation?

I currently have Fedora 18 on a Lenovo Thinkpad Edge laptop (using whole HDD) that I want to dual boot with ArchBSD. When I typed

gpart create -s gpt da0

the installer responded with something that said (paraphrasing here), "da0 already exists" followed by "Exit 1". I tried using "da1" and it said something like "bad arguments." I tried using "ada0" and it said the same "already exists" error.

Any suggestions?

#2 2013-07-24 08:47:08

Amzo
Administrator

Re: dual boot installation?

Means, you already have a GPT partition setup.

Have you already got Fedora Installed?

If you have, then you can skip most of the steps and just create a UFS partition in your remaining disk space:

gpart add -t freebsd-ufs da0

The wiki doesn't have a great amount of detail at the minute.

#3 2014-04-29 04:04:39

bscs

The MBR instruction do work on the wiki of you want to dual boot. I setup a archBSD and archBANG sytem in virtualbox that worked. Just had to add an entry in grub2's 40_custom file.
I just installed archBANG first and then archBSD without a couple lines from the guide. Then i used supergrubdisk to restore grub and get the archBANG working again. From there, I just added the archBSD entry and BAM...dual boot. Do you want the grub2 entry necessary for freebsd?

#4 2014-04-29 05:39:19

Blµb
Administrator

Using gparted when you've never used it before and are used to other alternatives might be a bit difficult at first.
You could create the partitions from within fedora with gparted, cgdisk/cfdisk before installing ArchBSD, or skim through gpart's manpage.
If you're using grub2 you can skip the freebsd-boot partition and 'gpart bootcode' related commands, but you need to setup the grub menu entry accordingly. This is a bit tricky as you'll want to pass a whole bunch of variables there. If you can't find the required info about that online, I'll put up my desktop's grub entry as an example. (I won't have access to that machine before saturday)

Board footer