You are not logged in.

#1 2013-08-13 12:33:30

dingo

ArchBSD - custom build for testing potential new ArchBSD installer

Hi I am looking at ArchBSD, gave me some ideas, i foillowed the install guide to install to ufs, the doc states daX as the drive but the kernel in use sees adaX
either way the install failed, I also considered a decent installer so others didnt arrive at this issue, I grabbed the git tree, onto a fresh FreeBSD box, but Im a bit
confused at the build process as its not documented, I need to know how to build ArchBSD from a base FreeBSD install, to an installable ArchBSD ISO, whats
the process to actually build ArchBSD? then once i get there i can ascertain whats what on a running system. thanks in advance.

#2 2013-08-14 14:42:06

Amzo
Administrator

Re: ArchBSD - custom build for testing potential new ArchBSD installer

The simplest way to build the base on FreeBSD would be to install pacman from ports: /usr/ports/sysutils/pacman

Next you could clone our git to get our PKGBUILDS and rebuild the core/FreeBSD/PKGBUILD.

Though, I'm curious as to why you couldn't install. The install mentions the us of ada0 and da0.

#3 2013-08-23 09:10:33

dingo

Okay, I got it installed finally, now back to the building an ISO I got that far, i cloned abs, and am currently running makepkg on the core/FreeBSD/PKGBUILD,
Generally, I think ArchBSD could be quite useful, which is why, im trying to learn how to regenerate an ISO image from scratch, having an installer, would be nice
so we dont need to type these command each and every time, i tried a zfs install also following the guide but it always said "cant mount tank on /" and would fail.
So how does one definitively "build" and iso from scratch? what packages are required to be built?

#4 2013-08-23 09:19:15

dingo

And with makepkg now I am getting this

clang -march=x86-64 -mtune=generic -O2 -I. -I/usr/local/src/abs/core/FreeBSD/src/freebsd/sys/dev/aic7xxx/aicasm -std=gnu99  -Wsystem-headers -Werror -Wall -Wno-format-y2k -W -Wno-unused-parameter -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes -Wpointer-arith -Wreturn-type -Wcast-qual -Wwrite-strings -Wswitch -Wshadow -Wunused-parameter -Wcast-align -Wno-pointer-sign  -o aicasm aicasm.o aicasm_symbol.o aicasm_gram.o aicasm_macro_gram.o aicasm_scan.o aicasm_macro_scan.o -ll
clang: error: unable to execute command: No such file or directory
clang: error: linker command failed due to signal (use -v to see invocation)
*** [aicasm] Error code 255

Stop in /usr/local/src/abs/core/FreeBSD/src/obj/amd64.amd64/usr/local/src/abs/core/FreeBSD/src/freebsd/sys/ARCHBSD_x86_64.

#5 2013-08-23 09:31:29

dingo

Looks like clang in the 7/12 base is broken on Arch, i copied /usr/bin from another "FreeBSD" system to the arch system and reran, its running a makepkg and compiling now

#6 2013-08-23 11:05:18

dingo

and then we have...........

clang++ -march=x86-64 -mtune=generic -O2 -I/usr/local/src/abs/core/FreeBSD/src/obj/amd64.amd64/usr/local/src/abs/core/FreeBSD/src/freebsd/tmp/legacy/usr/include -I/usr/local/src/abs/core/FreeBSD/src/freebsd/gnu/usr.bin/gperf/../../../contrib/gperf/lib -I/usr/local/src/abs/core/FreeBSD/src/freebsd/gnu/usr.bin/gperf -c /usr/local/src/abs/core/FreeBSD/src/freebsd/gnu/usr.bin/gperf/../../../contrib/gperf/src/search.cc
/usr/local/src/abs/core/FreeBSD/src/freebsd/gnu/usr.bin/gperf/../../../contrib/gperf/src/search.cc:165:5: warning: add explicit braces to avoid dangling else [-Wdangling-else]
    for (KeywordExt_List *temp = _head; temp; temp = temp->rest())
    ^
/usr/local/src/abs/core/FreeBSD/src/freebsd/gnu/usr.bin/gperf/../../../contrib/gperf/src/search.cc:39:22: note: expanded from macro 'for'
#define for if (0) ; else for
                     ^
/usr/local/src/abs/core/FreeBSD/src/freebsd/gnu/usr.bin/gperf/../../../contrib/gperf/src/search.cc:417:15: warning: add explicit braces to avoid dangling else [-Wdangling-else]
              for (int i3 = imax; i3 >= 0; i3--)
              ^
/usr/local/src/abs/core/FreeBSD/src/freebsd/gnu/usr.bin/gperf/../../../contrib/gperf/src/search.cc:39:22: note: expanded from macro 'for'
                     ^
/usr/local/src/abs/core/FreeBSD/src/freebsd/gnu/usr.bin/gperf/../../../contrib/gperf/src/search.cc:415:11: warning: add explicit braces to avoid dangling else [-Wdangling-else]
          for (int i2 = imax; i2 >= -1; i2--)
          ^
                     ^
/usr/local/src/abs/core/FreeBSD/src/freebsd/gnu/usr.bin/gperf/../../../contrib/gperf/src/search.cc:1638:5: warning: add explicit braces to avoid dangling else [-Wdangling-else]
    for (unsigned int c = 0; c < _alpha_size; c++)
    ^
                     ^
4 warnings generated.
clang++ -march=x86-64 -mtune=generic -O2 -I/usr/local/src/abs/core/FreeBSD/src/obj/amd64.amd64/usr/local/src/abs/core/FreeBSD/src/freebsd/tmp/legacy/usr/include -I/usr/local/src/abs/core/FreeBSD/src/freebsd/gnu/usr.bin/gperf/../../../contrib/gperf/lib -I/usr/local/src/abs/core/FreeBSD/src/freebsd/gnu/usr.bin/gperf -c /usr/local/src/abs/core/FreeBSD/src/freebsd/gnu/usr.bin/gperf/../../../contrib/gperf/src/version.cc
clang++ -march=x86-64 -mtune=generic -O2 -I/usr/local/src/abs/core/FreeBSD/src/obj/amd64.amd64/usr/local/src/abs/core/FreeBSD/src/freebsd/tmp/legacy/usr/include -I/usr/local/src/abs/core/FreeBSD/src/freebsd/gnu/usr.bin/gperf/../../../contrib/gperf/lib -I/usr/local/src/abs/core/FreeBSD/src/freebsd/gnu/usr.bin/gperf -c /usr/local/src/abs/core/FreeBSD/src/freebsd/gnu/usr.bin/gperf/../../../contrib/gperf/lib/getline.cc
clang++ -march=x86-64 -mtune=generic -O2 -I/usr/local/src/abs/core/FreeBSD/src/obj/amd64.amd64/usr/local/src/abs/core/FreeBSD/src/freebsd/tmp/legacy/usr/include -I/usr/local/src/abs/core/FreeBSD/src/freebsd/gnu/usr.bin/gperf/../../../contrib/gperf/lib -I/usr/local/src/abs/core/FreeBSD/src/freebsd/gnu/usr.bin/gperf -c /usr/local/src/abs/core/FreeBSD/src/freebsd/gnu/usr.bin/gperf/../../../contrib/gperf/lib/hash.cc
make: don't know how to make /usr/lib/libstdc++.a. Stop
*** [bootstrap-tools] Error code 2

Stop in /usr/local/src/abs/core/FreeBSD/src/freebsd.
*** [_bootstrap-tools] Error code 1

*** [buildworld] Error code 1

buildworld failed...
==> ERROR: A failure occurred in build().
    Aborting...

#7 2013-08-23 15:15:49

Amzo
Administrator

I'm currently writing a dialog / bash based installer which should be finished and hopefully ready for the next iso.

I'll also look into that. It could be that it was a broken build from the 9-stable branch. WE're switching to release once 9.2 is out, so no more git builds to stabilise things a bit more.

I'll test later on tonight.

#8 2013-08-23 17:23:29

dingo

And the next iso is when? So Im dependent on you to now fix things? which is now basically why im trying to learn how get through this build/create iso process....

#9 2013-08-23 19:58:17

dingo

another thing im not quite sure I understand is why you would change the amd64 output of uname on a 64bit build to ARCHBSD_x86_64  x86_64 when its plainly not the right architecture,
where BSD is concerned x86_64 is Itanium..... not AMD64 or 64bit Intel

#10 2013-08-24 04:10:55

Amzo
Administrator

Having the arch as amd64 is misleading and ugly. It requires FreeBSD to use horrible hacks in some ports just so they build. Setting it as x86_64 to match the same as ArchLinux was the right choice.

#11 2013-08-24 05:18:19

Blµb
Administrator

uname still shows FreeBSD, not ArchBSD. Almost all buildsystems handle FreeBSD / x86_64 correctly. The ARCHBSD_x86_64 part of uname's output is the kernel config name. Most of the time this is "GENERIC" on FreeBSD systems, but it's just a name and has no influence, as any user who compiles a custom kernel can choose a random name for it.

Board footer